The LOHR UIC wagon makes it possible to transport standard 4 m high road semi-trailers on the main European lines with a minimum gauge of UIC GB1 without any modification to the existing infrastructure.
The 3rd generation LOHR UIC wagon is suitable for existing railway infrastructures and standard road equipment. It has benefitted from significant improvements and innovations to enable it to travel on all the freight corridors in the European Network, due to the TEN (Trans-European Network) marking.
Wagon designed for the transport of standard semi-trailers:
- Low floor: max. height 21cm from rail
- Standard bogies and wheels
- Double articulated wagons with 2 pockets on 3 bogies
A simple wagon :
no engine or cylinders embarked on the wagon. Rotation of the pocket performed by ground equipment at the terminal. Thanks to this architecture, the maintenance cost of the wagon is very close to that of a conventional wagon and the LOHR system offers a high level of reliability that has been proven in intensive commercial operations for 18 years.
Types of wagon
The 3 types of LOHR UIC wagon
Types of load
Possible user scenarios
- Semi-trailers alone (unaccompanied transport) of all types.
- Complete trucks, tractor and semi-trailer (accompanied transport).
Technical data for LOHR UIC wagons:
|UIC I||UIC 2||UIC 3|
|Wagon type||Extremity wagon||Intermediate wagon||Individual wagon|
|Coupling type end 1||Standard coupling with buffers||Coupling bar||Standard coupling with buffers|
|Coupling type end 2||Coupling bar||Coupling bar||Standard coupling with buffers|
|Total length||33,87 m||32,94 m||34,80 m|
|Unloaded weight||41,7 t||40,7 t||42,7 t|
|Payload||75,3 t||76,3 t||77,3 t|
|Maximum load per semi-trailer||38 t|
|Minimum turning radius||135 m|
|Low gauge||UIC 505-1 - GIC2 (EN 15273-1)|
|Maximum floor height compared with the rail||225 mm|
|Min-max height of the semi-trailer kingpin||870 - 1170 mm|
- Gauge performance for the LOHR UIC wagon in France: with a loading floor at a maximum height of 225 mm in relation to the rail, the LOHR UIC wagon enables standard 4 m high semi-trailers to be transported on the AFM 423 (GB1 + 3 cm) gauge without exceeding the low UIC gauge
- Gauge performance for the LOHR UIC wagon in Switzerland: The LOHR UIC wagon is the only wagon enabling 4 m semi-trailers to be transported on the gauge of the current Gothard line
- Gauge performance for the LOHR UIC wagon in Europe: the LOHR UIC wagon enables standard 4 m high semi-trailers to be transported on P390-coded lines, standard 4.10 m high semi-trailers on P400-coded lines and standard 4.20 m high semi-trailers on P410-coded lines.
Compatibility with Combined Transport Terminals
LOHR UIC wagons have also been designed to allow as well vertical loading of clamp-on semi-trailers at a conventional Combined Transport terminal.
Reliability and low maintenance costs
Proven operation in severe weather conditions (heatwave, snow). Proven operation in difficult operating conditions, especially on the Alpine rail motorway. Each train makes 4 to 5 journeys a day on a difficult mountain line (steep gradients, low radius curves and counter-curves).